Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The First Day of Work

Boy, what a day! I have done so much and it has only been one and a half days?? It feels as though I have been here for at least a week or two. My day started at 7:00 with breakfast: store-bought crepes, bread, butter, jam, and juice. Then, I was given a jumpsuit to avoid dirtying my clothes and was off to meet Pierrick to milk the cows. Veronique jumped in soon after due to Pierrick's meeting today and tomorrow. Afterward, we had our "cafe". Following that, I met Nicholas (a paid worker) and he, Veronique, and I went to see the pigs. Today: weaning day! (The 3 week old piglets were weaned from their mother). I had to have chased at least 300 piglets into their pens. We then moved their mothers into the adjacent building. (Later on, 3 escaped so there was a bit of pig chasing!) As a side note, Veronique's dog, called Bourbigot(sp?), is a Sheepdog who is very efficient at his job... Around 1:00, we ate grapefruit, then salmon and rice with a creamy sauce, and finally brie with bread and fruit. I had a little cup of rose wine to go with the fish - was good - and then two sips of red wine to go with the cheese (was way too dry for me/I will not be drinking that again!). After lunch, Veronique went to pick up her daughter (whose name is actually Celine - Claire is her eldest daughter) and I helped clean up the kitchen. Eventually, I went to my room and fell asleep for two hours! (Seems the jet-lag has not yet left) I woke up around 5:15, had cafe with the family, and then helped Nicholas milk the cows. I wanted to go for a run, but it was windy and misting outside ... hopefully tomorrow? We had pumpkin and potato soup with ham and cheesy pasta for dinner - again, I loved the soup. I have learned so much and yet my journey has hardly even started. I will try to post pictures tomorrow (it's 11pm and I am just too tired). A demain! (Until tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment